SubjectRe: amd64 cdrom access locks system
using "dev=/dev/hda" yeilds the exact same behavior...

Jun 14 03:21:50 localhost kernel: ide-cd: cmd 0x3 timed out
Jun 14 03:21:50 localhost kernel: hda: lost interrupt
Jun 14 03:22:50 localhost kernel: ide-cd: cmd 0x3 timed out
Jun 14 03:22:50 localhost kernel: hda: lost interrupt
Jun 14 03:23:30 localhost kernel: hda: lost interrupt

And I'm a little confused by Robert's suggestion... Should it
ever be possible for a user-space application to cause lost
interrupts and other kernel state problems regardless of what
"interface" is used?? Sure, if the application uses the wrong
interface it should get spanked somehow but should it be able to
mess up the kernel for other applications as well? (Like now
I can't read or eject.)

The output from the cdrecord command was:
root@mail:~# cdrecord -v -eject -tao dev=/dev/hda stupid.iso
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01.01a01 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu) Copyright (C)
1995-2004 Joerg Schilling
NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of
cdrecord
and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original
version.
Please send bug reports and support requests to
<cdrtools@packages.debian.org>.
The original author should not be bothered with problems of
this version.

cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.12-rc6-jw14
cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or
Solaris.
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
scsidev: '/dev/hda'
devname: '/dev/hda'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Using libscg version 'ubuntu-0.8ubuntu1'.
cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial version of libscg
(ubuntu-0.8ubuntu1 '@(#)scsitransp.c 1.91 04/06/17 Copyright
1988,1995,2000-2004 J. Schilling').
SCSI buffer size: 64512
atapi: 1
Device type : Removable CD-ROM
Version : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities :
Vendor_info : 'SONY '
Identifikation : 'DVD RW DRU-500A '
Revision : '2.0h'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
Current: 0x0009
Profile: 0x001B
Profile: 0x001A
Profile: 0x0014
Profile: 0x0013
Profile: 0x0011
Profile: 0x0010
Profile: 0x000A
Profile: 0x0009 (current)
Profile: 0x0008

Since the kernel gets messed up and reports losts interrupts I'm
inclined to believe that this is a kernel/driver issue and not my
misuse of an application/interface. Though I realize cdrecord is
being run as the superuser and therefore might be overiding some
kernel security checks and messing with the kernel so I might be
wrong about that.

One question comes to mind... Would Robert's suggestion and my
results be affected by the fact that I don't have Packet Writing
for CD drives turned on the current kernel?

Any other ideas?

--
Jeff Wiegley, PhD
Cyte.Com, LLC