    SubjectRe: Attempted summary of "RT patch acceptance" thread
    On Sat, Jun 11, 2005 at 01:23:34AM +0200, Eric Piel wrote:
    > 06/11/2005 01:04 AM, Paul E. McKenney wrote/a écrit:
    > >>Just a small change to "1 - QoS":

    > >>I think it should be (by reference to how you define probability at the
    > >>beginning of the section):
    > >>Probability of not missing any deadline due to software
    > >

    > >Good catch! How about the following?
    > >
    > > i. Probability of meeting a deadline due to software,
    > > ranging from 0 to 1, with the value of 1 corresponding
    > > to the hardest possible hard realtime.
    > >
    > >Changing "missing" in the original to "meeting".
    >
    > It sounds strange to me (but english is not my mother tongue), it's like
    > hardware was not so good but software helped to recover the situation
    > and, eventually, the deadline was met ;-)

    Hmmm... It would appear that English's being my mother tongue is not
    helping me as much as one might hope. ;-)

    > What about using the way you wrote it at the beginning of the section:
    > "Probability of missing a deadline only because of a hardware failure"

    Good point, I may just need to invert the whole thing, so that it
    becomes something like:

    i. Probability of missing a deadline due to software,
    ranging from 0 to 1, with the value of 0 corresponding
    to the hardest possible hard realtime.

    But then the "p^n" becomes "1-(1-p)^n". Bleah.

    OK, how about the following?

    i. Probability of meeting a deadline in absence of hardware
    failure, ranging from 0 to 1, with the value of 1
    corresponding to the hardest possible hard realtime.

    Thanx, Paul

      Last update: 2005-06-11 03:03    [W:0.023 / U:29.780 seconds]