    SubjectRe: 2.6.12-rc6-mm1

    * Martin J. Bligh <mbligh@mbligh.org> wrote:

    > > I'm assuming it was the CPU scheduler patches. There are 36 of them ;)
    >
    > Backed them all out ... performance thunks down to earth again, and is
    > actually the best I've seen it ever (probably 250Hz is helping, I used
    > to run 100 in -mjb for better benefit).
    >
    > the +5081 item is the one to look at
    > http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/mbligh/abat/perf/kernbench.moe.png
    >
    > Patch I used was here:
    >
    > http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/mbligh/abat/patches/nosched
    >
    > But it was just everything under the "CPU scheduler" section of your
    > series file.

    we know from Nick's testing that the patches up to and including
    dynamic-sched-domains-ia64-changes.patch are probably OK. So the
    candidates for the regression are:

    sched-implement-nice-support-across-physical-cpus-on-smp.patch
    sched-change_prio_bias_only_if_queued.patch
    sched-account_rt_tasks_in_prio_bias.patch
    consolidate-preempt-options-into-kernel-kconfigpreempt.patch
    enable-preempt_bkl-on-preemptsmp-too.patch
    sched-tweak-idle-thread-setup-semantics.patch
    sched-voluntary-kernel-preemption.patch
    sched-smp-nice-bias-busy-queues-on-idle-rebalance.patch
    sched-task_noninteractive.patch
    sched-run-sched_normal-tasks-with-real-time-tasks-on-smt-siblings.patch

    there are two feature patches in this:

    enable-preempt_bkl-on-preemptsmp-too.patch
    sched-voluntary-kernel-preemption.patch

    so make sure you have PREEMPT_BKL and PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY disabled.

    these ones should not impact your workload's functionality (unless they
    are buggy):

    sched-account_rt_tasks_in_prio_bias.patch
    consolidate-preempt-options-into-kernel-kconfigpreempt.patch
    sched-tweak-idle-thread-setup-semantics.patch
    sched-run-sched_normal-tasks-with-real-time-tasks-on-smt-siblings.patch

    and unless you are using separate nice levels, this one shouldnt make a
    difference in theory:

    sched-implement-nice-support-across-physical-cpus-on-smp.patch

    which leaves the following 3 likely candidates:

    sched-change_prio_bias_only_if_queued.patch
    sched-smp-nice-bias-busy-queues-on-idle-rebalance.patch
    sched-task_noninteractive.patch

    so if you could do a run with all 3 of the above unapplied, that would
    be a good starting point. (But any of the others might be it too, if
    they contain some sort of bug.)

    Ingo

      Last update: 2005-06-10 09:13    [W:0.024 / U:124.124 seconds]