SubjectRe: Attempted summary of "RT patch acceptance" thread
From
On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 11:06:14PM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 04:45:38PM -0400, Lee Revell wrote:
> > AFAICT even RTAI would be affected, because X lets userspace drivers
> > talk directly to the hardware including wedging the PCI bus.
>
> Yes, I made the usb example exactly to show how latency bugs can be
> longstanding in the kernel too without requiring X or hardware bugs
> (this usb thing breaks kernel latency for years and yet nobody fixed it
> simply because it just works fine in practice, I noticed because

That's because it puts much more stress on the Linux kernel than before.
It's going to take some time to log, audit and fix these issues, but
fixing them after discovery isn't really a big deal as you make it. The
hyperbole where drivers screw with latency is finite. This is a very
managable problem. Again, this a problem for all RTOS system and their
supporting drivers as well since they often come from BSD open source
community.

bill

  Last update: 2005-06-11 00:18    [W:0.167 / U:0.876 seconds]