    SubjectRe: [TTY] exclusive mode question
    On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 11:36:54AM +0200, moreau francis wrote:

    > --- Denis Vlasenko <vda@ilport.com.ua> a écrit :

    > > described)

    > > application to
    > > >
    > > > Which is absolutely necessary to work if you think about an application
    > > > like minicom and its file transfer helpers, which may need to re-open
    > > > the serial port.
    > > >
    > > > TTY locking is done via lock files only, and all non-helper applications
    > > > must coordinate their access via the lock files. There is no other
    > > > mechanism.
    > >
    > > I think original reporter is saying that TIOEXCL is nearly useless then.
    > >

    > Why not using mandatory locks instead of this "weak" user lock mechanism ?

    As I've already said - helper applications.

    There's another case as well. Consider the following:

    - getty is listening on the serial port for an incoming modem call
    (eg, mgetty)
    - you want to make an outgoing call (eg, minicom)

    Both have to co-operate with each other via the lock files to ensure
    that they don't stomp on each other - and the point at which they claim
    the lock is most definitely not at serial port open time.

    --
    Russell King
    maintainer of: 2.6 Serial core