SubjectRe: Swap maximum size documented ?

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 04:43:50PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> Just buy an Opteron/Athlon64 system and you should be able to mmap it
> just fine. At least if you run an x86_64/amd64 kernel.

Linux does not entail subscription to hardware upgrade treadmills. No
one should be forced by "peer pressure" or Linux deficiencies to buy
new hardware. And this is the single greatest thing about Linux ever.

O_LARGEFILE and current mmap() code will save him the cost of newer
hardware for the near term, and should he be particularly strapped for
cash later on when more than 16TB is needed, he knows to look at making
pgoff_t and/or swp_entry_t 64-bit on his own. There is no need for new
hardware, merely a choice between money and programming effort should
he break the 16TB barrier.

-- wli

  Last update: 2005-06-01 23:05    [W:0.057 / U:0.400 seconds]