    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] hotplug-ng 002 release
    * Per Liden (per@fukt.bth.se) wrote:
    > On Fri, 6 May 2005, Greg KH wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    > > Now, with the 2.6.12-rc3 kernel, and a patch for module-init-tools, the
    > > USB hotplug program can be written with a simple one line shell script:
    > > modprobe $MODALIAS
    >
    > Nice, but why not just convert all this to a call to
    > request_module($MODALIAS)? Seems to me like the natural thing to do.

    I actually have a pretty hackish proof-of-consept patch that does
    basicly that, and have been running it on my systems for the past five
    months or so, if anybody's interested.

    Along with it I also have a patch witch exports the module aliases for
    PCI and USB devices through sysfs. With it the "coldplugging" of a
    system (module wise) can be reduced to pretty much:

    #!/bin/sh

    for DEV in /sys/bus/{pci,usb}/devices/*; do
    modprobe `cat $DEV/modalias`
    done

    (And I actually run exactly that on my laptop, and it works surpricingly
    well. (Largly due to the fact that the usb-controller is always attached
    below the pci-bus of course, but it really wouldn't take that much work
    to make it do the right thing even without relying on any specific
    ordering/topology))

    With the above in place my system does all the module-loading that I
    care about automaticly, and most importantly does so without relying
    on an /etc/hotplug/ dir with everything and it's grandma in it (or at
    least thousands of lines of shellscripting).

    But since the request_modalias() thing seemed as such an obvious thing
    to do I have been reluctant to submit it fearing that I must have missed
    some fundamental flaw in it or you guys would have implemented it that
    way a long time ago? (at least since Rusty rewrote the module
    loader). Was I wrong*?

    Greg, Rusty, what do you think?

    / Per Svennerbrandt

    * I also actually had my kernel add MODALIAS to the hotplug enviroment
    long before Roman submited his patch doing this, even calling it MODALIAS
    from the very beginning! :) So obviously I've been wrong before...

      Last update: 2005-05-09 23:17    [W:0.026 / U:29.816 seconds]