SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] hotplug-ng 002 release
* Per Liden ( wrote:
> On Fri, 6 May 2005, Greg KH wrote:
> [...]
> > Now, with the 2.6.12-rc3 kernel, and a patch for module-init-tools, the
> > USB hotplug program can be written with a simple one line shell script:
> > modprobe $MODALIAS
> Nice, but why not just convert all this to a call to
> request_module($MODALIAS)? Seems to me like the natural thing to do.

I actually have a pretty hackish proof-of-consept patch that does
basicly that, and have been running it on my systems for the past five
months or so, if anybody's interested.

Along with it I also have a patch witch exports the module aliases for
PCI and USB devices through sysfs. With it the "coldplugging" of a
system (module wise) can be reduced to pretty much:

for DEV in /sys/bus/{pci,usb}/devices/*; do
modprobe `cat $DEV/modalias`
(And I actually run exactly that on my laptop, and it works surpricingly
well. (Largly due to the fact that the usb-controller is always attached
below the pci-bus of course, but it really wouldn't take that much work
to make it do the right thing even without relying on any specific

With the above in place my system does all the module-loading that I
care about automaticly, and most importantly does so without relying
on an /etc/hotplug/ dir with everything and it's grandma in it (or at
least thousands of lines of shellscripting).

But since the request_modalias() thing seemed as such an obvious thing
to do I have been reluctant to submit it fearing that I must have missed
some fundamental flaw in it or you guys would have implemented it that
way a long time ago? (at least since Rusty rewrote the module
loader). Was I wrong*?

Greg, Rusty, what do you think?

/ Per Svennerbrandt

* I also actually had my kernel add MODALIAS to the hotplug enviroment
long before Roman submited his patch doing this, even calling it MODALIAS
from the very beginning! :) So obviously I've been wrong before...