    SubjectRe: RT patch acceptance
    James Bruce wrote:
    > Nick Piggin wrote:
    >> I have never been in any doubt as to the specific claims I have
    >> made. I continually have been talking about hard realtime from
    >> start to finish, and it appears that everyone now agrees with me
    >> that for hard-RT, a nanokernel solution is better or at least
    >> not obviously worse at this stage.
    > It is only better in that if you need provable hard-RT *right now*, then
    > you have to use a nanokernel. The RT patch doesn't provide guaranteed
    > hard-RT yet[1], but it may in the future. Any RT application programmer

    This was my main line of questioning - what future direction will
    do the RT guys want from the PREEMPT_RT work. I was concerned that
    hard-realtime does not sound feasable for Linux.

    > I think where we violently disagree is that in your earlier posts you
    > seemed to imply that a nanokernel hard-RT solution obviates the need for
    > something like preempt-RT. That is not the case at all, and at the

    Actually I think that is also where we violently agree ;)
    If you look at some of my earlier posts, you'll see I had to
    add 'disclaimers' until I was blue in the face. But I don't
    blame you for not wanting to crawl through all that / or not
    seeing it.

    Basically: I know they are orthogonal, and I don't disagree
    that generally better scheduling and interrupt latency would be
    nice for Linux to have.

    Now I'll really stop posting. Sorry everyone.

      Last update: 2005-05-31 13:11    [W:0.022 / U:17.688 seconds]