SubjectRe: what is the -RT tree
From
On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 02:40:38PM +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
> Ok where are the big issues left?

Pretty much the entire kernel and anything that has a loop in it.
That's why the use of preemption points can't work in that it
can't be spread throughout the kernel in the way you've mentioned.

> Yes, I understand that. But because of that it is not really
> fair to compare the standard kernel to RT tree with all bells and whistles
> enabled. I think it would be much better if RT was considered
> as individual pieces, not all or nothing.

The lock work is an all or nothing chunk. It's the main portion
of this patch that gives the major performance boost. All other
work is marginal at best to support latency or instrumentation
to back it. No insult, but Ingo's has said this multipule times.

bill

  Last update: 2005-05-30 15:30    [W:0.145 / U:0.068 seconds]