SubjectRe: RT patch acceptance
On Mon, 30 May 2005, Karim Yaghmour wrote:

> Esben Nielsen wrote:
> > Ofcourse, there is a lot of buts to that. You have to check that the
> > driver doesn't take a call path which is nontermnistic in special cases
> > and the path between your application and the driver is deterministic.
> > A static code checker would be nice...
>
> Which gets up back where we began: drivers that are non-deterministic
> will continue being deterministic regardless of what solution is adopted,
> if any, and will be in need of a re-write/major-modification, which
> itself will have little or no added value for non-rters ...

But if you do have to maintain your own driver it is a lot easier to start
from an existing and fix that one than it is to start all over. I bet the
modifcations aren't too big for many drivers anyways. When I get more time
I'll try to look into some drivers. Many of them is propably just about
removing printk's and the like.

Esben

> Karim

  Last update: 2005-05-30 21:39    [W:0.355 / U:0.092 seconds]