SubjectRe: Disc driver is module, software suspend fails
On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > 1. If the initrd mounted any filesystem read-write, or any journalled
> > filesystem, and left it mounted, that would be bad.
>
> Yes. (Note that mounting in the first place is the problem. Even if
> you umount it, you already did some changes on disk, BAD).

(additional points snipped)

I've been quiet for the last few weeks because I've been installing and
working on SuSE 9.3. Kernel 2.6.11.4 has a fatal problem blamed on the
SATA driver (see below), but with 2.6.12-rc3, software suspend has been
reliable for me, with the initrd ending in "echo resume >
/sys/power/state".

I've come to agree with your position, that if the initrd runs then there
must be a positive action (like echo resume...) in the initrd. The kernel
should not try to clean up and resume by itself, because the initrd could
have done anything. Think of the SuSE rescue initrd.

There are only two rough edges: /sys/power/disk seems to change randomly to
"reboot", whereupon the BIOS reboots from the original boot disc, not going
through Grub or whatever is in the MBR. If you echo shutdown >
/sys/power/disk just before every suspend, it's a lot more reliable. The
other item involves the SATA driver and I'll copy you on that message.

Thank you very much for working on software suspend. I use the feature a
lot on my laptop and it greatly adds to the convenience of the O.S.

James F. Carter Voice 310 825 2897 FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet; 6115 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA 90095-1555
Email: jimc@math.ucla.edu http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc (q.v. for PGP key)

  Last update: 2005-05-04 03:15    [W:0.468 / U:0.020 seconds]