    SubjectRe: Playing with SATA NCQ
    On Sun, May 29 2005, Mark Lord wrote:
    > My basic hdparm timing test shouldn't show much of a difference
    > with NCQ tests, becase hdparm just does a single request at a time,
    > and waits for the results before issuing another. Now, kernel read-ahead
    > may result in some command overlap and a slight throughput increase, but..
    > Something like dbench and/or bonnie++ are more appropriate here.

    I don't like bonnie++ very much and dbench is very write intensive. I
    would suggest trying tiotest, find it on It gets easily readable
    results and they are usually fairly consistent across runs if you limit
    the RAM to something sensible (eg 256MB and using a data set size of

    Jens Axboe

      Last update: 2005-05-29 21:10    [W:0.019 / U:0.032 seconds]