    SubjectThe values of gettimeofday() jumps.
    We have several SMP machines (Tyan Tiger MPX motherboard, 2
    AthlonMP 1900+ CPU, linux-2.4.21-20.EL). When running some time
    sensitive programs, I observed that the values of gettimeofday () jumped
    sometimes on a couple of machines (other machines are fine), from
    several hundreds milliseconds to a couple of seconds.
    I searched online and tried to figure out why this happened. It
    seems there are a lot of people who complained about the clock drift
    issue of gettimeofday () on SMP machines. But I still could not get the
    answers about what is the exact cause of this issue and how to fix it.
    Could somebody tell me some clues? Can this be solved by
    upgrading the kernel to 2.6? Thanks a lot.

    By the way, I have read Linux SMP HOWTO and the following documents.
    I could not get enough clues from them yet, maybe because my limited
    knowledge about the kernel.

    [Liangchen Zheng]

      Last update: 2005-05-29 03:36    [W:0.022 / U:1.496 seconds]