SubjectRe: weird X problem - priority inversion?
On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 01:11 -0700, David Lang wrote:
> remember that the low pri screensaver is just generating the image to be
> displayed, it's the high pri X server that's actually doing the work to
> display it.

Then there needs to be some mechanism to handle it, either in X or the
kernel. Other OSes do not require you to turn off the screensaver to
avoid a DoS - they do the obvious thing and run the screensaver at the
lowest priority.

The problem may be software 3D rendering (I did not have the VIA driver
enabled as I did not realize it was in the kernel yet). Maybe the X
server should do the work in a low priority thread. But it sure
shouldn't DoS the system. Other OSes do not have this problem.

Lee

  Last update: 2005-05-27 16:10    [W:0.050 / U:20.292 seconds]