    Subject[doc][git] playing with git, and netdev/libata-dev trees

    Hopefully, this email can quick-start some people on git.

    One of the things Linus's new 'git' tool allows me to do is make public
    the 50+ repositories that were previously only available on my local
    workstation. This should make it a lot easier for developers to see
    precisely what I have merged, and makes generating follow-up patches a
    whole lot easier.

    When I merge a patch for drivers/net/forcedeth.c, I merge it into a
    brand new 'forcedeth' repository, a peer to the 40+ other such
    repository. Under BitKeeper, I made these repositories available merged
    together into one big "netdev-2.6" repository because it was too time
    consuming to make the individual 50+ trees publicly available. With
    git, developers have direct access to the individual trees.

    I thought I would write up a quick guide describing how to mess around
    with the netdev and libata-dev trees, and with git in general.

    1) installing git

    git requires bootstrapping, since you must have git installed in order
    to check out git.git (git repo), and linux-2.6.git (kernel repo). I
    have put together a bootstrap tarball of today's git repository.

    Download tarball from:

    tarball build-deps: zlib, libcurl

    install tarball: unpack && make && sudo make prefix=/usr/local install

    jgarzik helper scripts, not in official git distribution:

    After reading the rest of this document, come back and update your copy
    of git to the latest:

    2) download a linux kernel tree for the very first time

    mkdir -p linux-2.6/.git
    cd linux-2.6
    rsync -a --delete --verbose --stats --progress \
    \ <- word-wrapped backslash; sigh

    3) download latest changes to on-disk local tree

    cd linux-2.6
    git-pull-script \

    4) check out files from the git repository into the working directory

    cd linux-2.6
    git-read-tree -m HEAD && git-checkout-cache -q -f -u -a

    5) check in your own modifications (e.g. apply a patch)

    # go to repo
    cd linux-2.6

    # make some modifications
    patch -sp1 < /tmp/my.patch
    diffstat -p1 < /tmp/my.patch

    # NOTE: add '--add' and/or '--remove' if files were added or removed
    git-update-cache <list of all files changed>

    # commit changes
    GIT_AUTHOR_NAME="John Doe" \
    GIT_COMMITTER_NAME="Jeff Garzik" \
    git-commit-tree `git-write-tree` \
    -p $(cat .git/HEAD ) \
    < changelog.txt \
    > .git/HEAD

    6) List all changes in working dir, in diff format.

    git-diff-cache -p HEAD

    7) List all changesets (i.e. show each cset's description text) in local
    tree that are not present in remote tree.

    cd my-kernel-tree-2.6
    git-changes-script -L ../linux-2.6 | less

    8) List all changesets:

    9) apply all patches in a Berkeley mbox-format file

    First, download and add to your PATH Linus's git tools:

    cd my-kernel-tree-2.6
    dotest /path/to/mbox # yes, Linus has no taste in naming useful scripts

    10) don't forget to download tags from time to time.

    git-pull-script only downloads sha1-indexed object data, and the
    requested remote head. This misses updates to the .git/refs/tags/ and
    .git/refs/heads directories. It is advisable to update your kernel .git
    directories periodically with a full rsync command, to make sure you got

    cd linux-2.6
    rsync -a --delete --verbose --stats --progress \
    \ <- word-wrapped backslash; sigh

    11) [jg-specific] list all branches found in netdev-2.6 or libata-dev trees.

    cd netdev-2.6
    ls .git/refs/heads/

    { these are the current netdev-2.6 branches }
    > 8139cp forcedeth master qeth smc91x we18
    > 8139too-iomap for-linus natsemi r8169 smc91x-eeprom wifi
    > airo hdlc ns83820 register-netdev starfire
    > atmel ieee80211 orinoco remove-drivers tlan
    > chelsio iff-running orinoco-hch sis900 veth
    > dm9000 janitor ppp skge viro

    12) [jg-specific] make desired branch current in working directory

    git-switch-tree $branch

    13) [jg-specific] create a new branch, and make it current

    git-new-branch $branch

    14) [jg-specific] examine which branch is current

    ls -l .git/HEAD

    15) undo all local modifications (same as checkout):

    git-read-tree -m HEAD && git-checkout-cache -q -f -u -a

      Last update: 2005-05-26 07:32    [W:0.027 / U:3.216 seconds]