SubjectRe: [OT] pull request notation
Junio C Hamano wrote:

> JG> Please pull the 'new-ids' branch from
> JG>
> JG> rsync://rsync.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/libata-dev.git
> JG>
> JG> This add...
>
> I am not a kernel developer, but I think the way this particular
> pull request is worded can be made much more friendly to Cogito
> users (that probably is the rest of the world except you, me and
> Linus ;-). They use URL fragment notation to express the branch
> head, like this:
>
> rsync://rsync.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/libata-dev.git#new-ids
>
> At least for me, eyes always skip to the "rsync://..." part
> immediately after seeing "Please pull.." part.
>
> For Linus I am willing to volunteer updating git-pull-script to
> take the same URL fragment notation, but as Jeff correctly
> pointed out it already takes the "branch" name as its second
> parameter so it probably would not be necessary.

It's up to Linus really, he's the consumer of these messages.

Given that git-pull-script requires two arguments, URL and optional
branch, it sounds like
'rsync://rsync.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/libata-dev.git
new-ids' would be the best syntax, if it weren't for darned word wrap.

Jeff