    SubjectRe: [OT] pull request notation
    Junio C Hamano wrote:

    > JG> Please pull the 'new-ids' branch from
    > JG>
    > JG> rsync://rsync.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/libata-dev.git
    > JG>
    > JG> This add...
    >
    > I am not a kernel developer, but I think the way this particular
    > pull request is worded can be made much more friendly to Cogito
    > users (that probably is the rest of the world except you, me and
    > Linus ;-). They use URL fragment notation to express the branch
    > head, like this:
    >
    > rsync://rsync.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/libata-dev.git#new-ids
    >
    > At least for me, eyes always skip to the "rsync://..." part
    > immediately after seeing "Please pull.." part.
    >
    > For Linus I am willing to volunteer updating git-pull-script to
    > take the same URL fragment notation, but as Jeff correctly
    > pointed out it already takes the "branch" name as its second
    > parameter so it probably would not be necessary.

    It's up to Linus really, he's the consumer of these messages.

    Given that git-pull-script requires two arguments, URL and optional
    branch, it sounds like
    'rsync://rsync.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/libata-dev.git
    new-ids' would be the best syntax, if it weren't for darned word wrap.

    Jeff

      Last update: 2005-05-26 04:44    [W:0.024 / U:1.524 seconds]