    SubjectRe: NFS corruption on 2.6.11.7
    On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 13:16 -0700, David S.Miller wrote:
    > From: Kenneth Johansson <ken@kenjo.org>
    > Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 22:13:27 +0200
    >
    > > Is there some fundamental difference in how nfs over upd and tcp is
    > > handled regarding the packet contents like tcp using the tcp checksum
    > > and udp not using the udp checksum or something like that?
    > >
    > > Are there any counters for checksum errors in udp and tcp that can be
    > > read ?? I faild to spot anything in /proc.
    >
    > If you are on a gigabit or faster network, IPv4 fragment sequence
    > numbers can wrap and if you are very unlucky the checksums will
    > match as well corrupting your data. This is a fatal limitation of
    > the small 16-bit IPv4 framgent ID.
    >
    > Use TCP for NFS unless you want NFS data corruption.

    Unlikely to be the case this time. I get a sequence of 28 bytes that is
    wrong in the data and often the wrong data is a copy from data 64 or 128
    byte earlier in the file. If this was not on a PC with cache coherency I
    would guess that someone forgot to do a cache invalidate/flush. But I do
    wonder why I only see this problem with nfs over udp.

      Last update: 2005-05-25 22:38    [W:0.019 / U:0.072 seconds]