SubjectRe: [OT] Joerg Schilling flames Linux on his Blog
On Mon, 23 May 2005, Brian O'Mahoney said:
> 1__
>
> The GPL says nothing about using a GPL, or non-free tool to create
> something else, and cannot since it is a copyright based licence.

The point of libgcc is that it is *linked in* to generated programs, and
thus under the FSF's interpretation might force those programs to be
covered by the GPL. Hence the exception, to make it clear that this is
not the case.

(It is even more necessary for the libstdc++ headers and Ada runtime,
as they are respectively textually included and included in cross-module
inlining...)

> 2__
>
> He has decided what the answer MUST be ... now the reasoning. Here we
> have a Solaris shill!

Nah, it's not that simple: apparently he flames them, too. I think we
can safely say he is no-one's pansy. (Now he might be impossible to
please, but that's a different matter.)

--
`Once again, I must remark on the far-reaching extent of my
ladylike nature.' --- Rosie Taylor