    SubjectRe: [OT] Joerg Schilling flames Linux on his Blog
    On 20 May 2005, Patrick McFarland suggested tentatively:
    > As everyone knows, Joerg Schilling has a blog, and he often pushes his
    > pro-Solaris agenda, and flames the LKML about how Linux breaks cdrecord
    > (instead of just admitting cdrecord is broken) or how much more awesome
    > Solaris is compared to Linux.
    >
    > Well, he just fired yet another salvo at the Linux community:
    > http://schily.blogspot.com/2005/04/value-marketing-and-freedom.html

    His research sucks.

    : Later, the LGPL has been created and parts of the GCC (libgcc) has
    : been put under LGPL.

    Wrong. It is trivial to check gcc/libgcc*c and observe that libgcc is
    *not* LGPLed, but licensed under the GPL plus an exception permitting
    unrestricted linkage to proprietary software. (Related exceptions are
    used for the libstdc++ headers and the Ada runtime.)

    Just before that, he said:

    : This acceptance has not been present from the beginning. In the
    : beginning, the whole GCC has been published under the GPL and thus could
    : not be used to compile software that itself has not been published under
    : the GPL. For this reason, there has been an excited discussion about the
    : usability of GCC.

    Note that in Joerg's worldview, a mistake equals conspiracy. This is a
    classic kook's mindview. Jeff's right: the best thing we can do is to
    just ignore him.

    --
    `Once again, I must remark on the far-reaching extent of my
    ladylike nature.' --- Rosie Taylor