    SubjectRe: [OT] Joerg Schilling flames Linux on his Blog/cdrecord replacement
    I don't want to pour gasoline on an incipient flame war, but
    my two points here are:

    SUN uses RPM internally, but continues to insist its Solaris
    customers countinue to put up with pkg*, which makes system
    administration of solaris a nightmare after a while especially
    when mixed in with binary patches and patch dependancies with
    major vendors like Oracle, SAP and Veritas and all of this
    brings the Solaris admin/developer no benefit at all.

    RPM is free software so SUN could just use it, and if they
    did the major platform vendors would in a New York minute.

    And SUN do this so they can sell the Update Service

    There was little wrong with cdrecord until DVDs came out and
    H Schilling decided to take DVD PRO private and became petty
    about his build system, smake, and others extending a fork
    of cdrecord to support DVDs; which was done by both SuSE and
    Debian -- but with weird add in Copyright, and you can't change
    this, and "Inofficial Version" junk from Schilling.

    And then there was the Solaris/Linux flames, and most of us
    just got tired of all the hassle, I just wanted to write
    DVD-R and DVD-ROM media.

    After wasting a lot of time and coasters I note that

    dvdrtools from ''

    the dvd+rw package from

    both work well, and without any hassle, and now use DVD+RW
    which, now, writes all formats of DVD

    so I _nolonger_care_ about Schilling, smake, cdrecord or
    his Linux flames, since the fact that DVD+RW can, reliably
    write DVDs and even DVD PRO can't means to me that there is
    nothing wrong with Linux and something wrong with cdrecord.

    Or am I missing something here?

    Andrew Haninger wrote:
    >>... flames the LKML about how Linux breaks cdrecord
    >>(instead of just admitting cdrecord is broken)
    > I've always used cdr-tools on Linux and Windows since it is the
    > only/best tool for mastering CDs. It takes the installation of Joerg's
    > library, but after that, it's worked wonderfully. This is even the
    > tool that is suggested by the HOWTOs that newbies are told to read. It
    > has always appeared to me that it was the only/best tool.

    See above

    > (This is really only a half-sarcastic reply. I really would like to
    > know if there's a better tool. However, I'm also trying to point out
    > that Joerg's software seems to be all that can be used at the moment
    > and so it's hard for me as a humble end-user to really care if his
    > software is broken since it works.)

    mit freundlichen Grüßen, Brian.

      Last update: 2005-05-22 06:26    [W:0.024 / U:34.416 seconds]