SubjectRe: [OT] Joerg Schilling flames Linux on his Blog

Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Sat, May 21, 2005 at 01:20:19AM +0200, Brian O'Mahoney wrote:

>>Finally SUN should move from the pkg* abortion, written by idiots
>>at AT&T, some 25 years ago to RPM.
>

> In my personal experience, the Solaris packages are quite usable.
>
> I don't claim they were perfect, but do you have compelling reasons why
> you call the people who developed it "idiots"?

The point I made was that SUN do support/use the GNU toolchain
internally, and everyone has used GNU on SUN since they started to
charge for the Solaris C compiler in the 80's. They also have RPM
and it is only recently they integrated Perl and I object to this
attitude whether it comes from SUN or MicroSoft

As to pkg* just look at what is missing/deficient -v- any OpenSource
tool, which was desingned by those that were going to _use_ it not
just tick a check box

It is typical of the period in which AT&T had more Marketeers and Lawers
working on Unix that there were developers. These were the guys who
helped to start the Unix wars.

--
mit freundlichen Grüßen, Brian.