SubjectRe: Thread and process dentifiers (CPU affinity, kill)
Date
In article <20050520165307.GG23488@csclub.uwaterloo.ca>,
Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
>On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 04:51:10PM +0200, Olivier Croquette wrote:
>> From the beginning we are talking about the present GNU/Linux systems,
>> which do already use NTPL in standard. NPTL is no future standard, it is
>> present standard.
>
>Hmm, I just noticed the page I found about NPTL had 2005 date one place
>and 2002 in another. Yeah that is what people are using already.
>
>Most current i386 systems do NOT use NPTL yet by default since it only
>works on 2.6 kernels, and even then probably only if glibc was compiled
>that way.

No. On modern systems, glibc contains both LinuxThreads and NPTL.
They have the same ABI. At runtime one of the two is selected,
depending on if the currently running kernel supports NTPL.
You can also force it by setting the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL environment
variable to 2.4 or 2.6.

Mike.

  Last update: 2005-05-20 20:17    [W:0.052 / U:0.752 seconds]