SubjectRe: Mercurial 0.4b vs git patchbomb benchmark
On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 07:48:29PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Mon, 2 May 2005, Matt Mackall wrote:
> >
> > Umm.. I am _not_ calculating the SHA of the delta itself. That'd be
> > silly.
>
> It's not silly.

The delta is not the object I care about and its representation is
arbitrary. In fact different branches will store different deltas
depending on how their DAGs get topologically sorted. The object I
care about is the original text, so that's the hash I store.

> In other words, you need to hash the metadata too. Otherwise how do you
> consistency-check the _collection_ of files?

Well naturally, I hash the metadata too. For every change, there's a
toplevel changeset hash that is the hash of the entire project state
at that time. And it's all signable and so on. Just like git and just
like Monotone.