    SubjectRe: kernel OOPS for XFS in xfs_iget_core (using NFS+SMP+MD)
    On Wed, 18 May 2005 at 1:43pm, Gregory Brauer wrote

    > Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
    > > Do you have a test case that would show this up? I've been testing a
    > > centos-4 based server with the RH-derived 2.6.9-based kernel tweaked to
    > > disable 4K stacks and enable XFS and haven't run into any issues yet.
    > > This includes running the parallel IOR benchmark from 10 clients (and
    > > getting 200MiB/s throughput on reads).
    > >

    > We first saw the problem after 5 days in production, but since then
    > we took the server out of production and used the script
    > nfs_fsstress.sh located in this package:
    >
    > http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/ltp/ltp-full-20050505.tgz?download
    >
    > We run the script on 5 client machines that are running RedHat 9
    > with kernel-smp-2.4.20-20.9 and nfs-utils-1.0.1-3.9.1.legacy and
    > are NFS mounting our 2.6 kernel server. The longest time to OOPS

    My clients are all RHEL3. I'll give the nfs_fsstress scripts a shot.

    http://www.llnl.gov/asci/purple/benchmarks/limited/ior/

    > You didn't mention if you are using md at all. We have a
    > software RAID-0 of 4 x 3ware 8506-4 controllers running the
    > latest 3ware driver from their site. The filesystem is XFS.
    > The network driver is e1000 (two interfaces, not bonded). The
    > system is a dual Xeon. We upped the number of NFS daemons
    > from 8 to 64. The nfs_fsstress.sh client mounts the servers
    > both UDP and TCP, and our in-production oops likely happened
    > with a combination of both protocols in use simultaneously as
    > well. We've seen the OOPS with both the default and with 32K
    > read and write NFS block sizes. The machine was stable for
    > over a year with RedHat 9 and 2.4.20.

    The server I'll be testing is dual Xeon, 2GB RAM, 2 x 3ware 9500-12
    controllers running the 9.1.5.2 firmware and using the stock centos-4
    drivers. (I see a huge performance hit using the latest 3ware driver set,
    9.2.) The 3wares are doing hardware RAID5, and I do software RAID0 across
    'em. Networking is the same -- 2 e1000s, not bonded. I'm running 256 NFS
    daemons, well, just because.

    --
    Joshua Baker-LePain
    Department of Biomedical Engineering