    SubjectRe: Disk write cache (Was: Hyper-Threading Vulnerability)
    On Sunday 15 May 2005 22:32, Mark Lord wrote:
    > >took place on another list, and wrote a test gizmo that copied a
    > >large file, then slept for 1 second and issued a sync command. No
    > >drive led activity until the usual 5 second delay of the
    > > filesystem had expired. To me, that indicated that the sync
    > > command was being
    >There's your clue. The drive LEDs normally reflect activity
    >over the ATA bus (the cable!). If they're not on, then the drive
    >isn't receiving data/commands from the host.

    That was my theory too Mark, but Jeff G. says its not a valid
    indicator. So who's right?

    Cheers, Gene
    -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
    99.34% setiathome rank, not too shabby for a WV hillbilly and AOL/TW attorneys please note, additions to the above
    message by Gene Heskett are:

      Last update: 2005-05-16 05:12    [W:0.021 / U:5.188 seconds]