    SubjectRe: Re[2]: ata over ethernet question
    On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 12:44:18PM -0700, Dmitry Yusupov wrote:
    > i'm just reacting on "bloated" wording. It really depends on
    > implementation and design. If you were talking about amount of code in
    > the kernel, than take a look on open-iscsi(just one file iscsi_tcp.c)
    > and IET where we doing a lot of management stuff in user-space. It is
    > not that much code in the kernel, really, but it is doing x10 times more
    > useful things comparing to nbd and yet compliant with RFC.

    Keeping code out of the kernel is really nice, but that doesn't meant it
    isn't bloat - the bloat is just in userland.

    > yeah, generic transport, recovery levels, direct data placement for HW
    > HBAs, etc, etc... it is all *must* features for enterprise's SAN
    > deployment. So, yes, there is a price as usual.

    I'm sure your marketing department can use all these buzzwords to sell
    NICs to CTOs and CEOs, but else..

      Last update: 2005-05-13 10:22    [W:0.020 / U:95.824 seconds]