SubjectRe: /proc/cpuinfo format - arch dependent!
Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 02:00:55PM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>
>>Linus did what was probably right then. I would agree that there is room
>>for something better now. Just to prove it could be done (not that this
>>is the only or best way):
>

> I suspect many architecture's /proc/cpuinfo were not decided by Linus at
> all, but by whoever ported linux to that architecture.
>

>> cpu0 {
>> socket: 0
>> chip-cache: 0
>> num-core: 2
>> per-core-cache: 512k
>> num-siblings: 2
>> sibling-cache: 0
>> family: i86
>> features: sse2 sse3 xxs bvd
>> # stepping and revision info
>> }
>> cpu1 {
>> socket: 1
>> chip-cache: 0
>> num-core: 1
>> pre-core-cache: 512k
>> num-siblings: 2
>> sibling-cache: 64k
>> family: i86
>> features: sse2 sse3 xxs bvd kook2
>> # stepping and revision info
>> }
>

> Where does numa nodes fit into that?
>

>>This is just proof of concept, you can have per-chip, per-core, and
>>per-sibling cache for instance, but I can't believe that anyone would
>>make a chip where the cache per core or per sibling differed, or the
>>instruction set, etc. Depending on where you buy your BS, Intel and AMD
>>will (or won't) make single and dual core chips to fit the same socket.
>

> Have you seen the Cell processor? Multi core with different instruction
> set for the smaller execution cores than the main one.

I'm aware of it, but until someone actually produces a multicore which
executes the same instruction set (386+P4?) I assume that all the cores
used by the program will be the same.

I wrote for the DEC Rainbow (8086 and Z80, one did disk and video, one
did serial+net), and IIRC the memory addresses were shared but the IO
addresses weren't. Also something I can't easily name which had a 68010
and 4 bit RISC in a single carrier. Early microcomputer days were fun,
or at least I thought it was fun to cope with bizarre and unreliable
hardware when I was young.

  Last update: 2005-05-10 21:22    [W:0.053 / U:0.296 seconds]