    SubjectRe: 2.6.12-rc3-mm1
    On Sat, Apr 30, 2005 at 06:53:40PM -0400, Ed Tomlinson wrote:
    > On Saturday 30 April 2005 18:36, Zwane Mwaikambo wrote:
    > > On Sat, 30 Apr 2005, Ed Tomlinson wrote:
    > >
    > > > If we stick with git it might make sense not to include a linux-patch. cogito
    > > > is quite fast to export using a commit id. Suspect some bandwidth could be
    > > > saved if you just stated the commit id that you based the mm patch on.
    > > >
    > > > In case anyone is wondering how build this from a cogito/git db... Find the
    > > > cogito announcement on lkml install and update cogito. Then folliw the instructions
    > > > in the README and download the kernel's db. Next search lkml to find the commit id
    > > > of rc3 (a2755a80f40e5794ddc20e00f781af9d6320fafb) and verify you have it correct
    > > > with:
    > > >
    > > > cg-mkpatch a2755a80f40e5794ddc20e00f781af9d6320fafb
    > > >
    > > > then export a tree with
    > > >
    > > > cg-export ../12-3-1 a2755a80f40e5794ddc20e00f781af9d6320fafb
    > > >
    > > > and cd over to the new dir and patch with mm and have fun.
    > >
    > > That'd be a horribly convoluted procedure and make automation difficult,
    > > -mm shouldn't be that difficult to use. Also linus.patch used to be the
    > > current -bk snapshot.
    >
    > Huh? Assuming one already has a current git tree. Then all Andrew need do
    > is publish the commit id from Linus then the complicated procedure becomes
    > With bk there was an acceptable excuse not to use it. With git, aside from bandwidth
    > concerns (maybe mercurial can solve this), I do not see any good reason not to use it.

    The reasons why I for one do not plan to use git are:

    - disk space
    - bandwidth (rsync traffic has to go through our masquerader, and the
    amount of traffic through the masquerader I'm allowed to
    generate is limited)
    - I do not need Linus' tree for anything.
    I'm working against -mm because it's further in development.

    Having said this, Andrew might perhaps be able to _additionally_ provide
    -mm patches without linus.patch for the convenience of git users.

    > Ed Tomlinson

    cu
    Adrian

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.