SubjectRe: Kernel SCM saga..
Hi,

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Also, I suspect that BKCVS actually bothers to get more details out of a
> BK tree than I cared about. People have pestered Larry about it, so BKCVS
> exports a lot of the nitty-gritty (per-file comments etc) that just
> doesn't actually _matter_, but people whine about. Me, I don't care. My
> sparse-conversion just took the important parts.

As soon as you want to synchronize and merge two trees, you will know why
this information does matter.
(/me looks closer at the sparse-conversion...)
It seems you exported the complete parent information and this is exactly
the "nitty-gritty" I was "whining" about and which is not available via
bkcvs or bkweb and it's the most crucial information to make the bk data
useful outside of bk. Larry was previously very clear about this that he
considers this proprietary bk meta data and anyone attempting to export
this information is in violation with the free bk licence, so you indeed
just took the important parts and this is/was explicitly verboten for
normal bk users.

bye, Roman

  Last update: 2005-04-09 18:37    [W:0.502 / U:2.836 seconds]