    SubjectRe: Kernel SCM saga..
    On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 09:42:04PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, Chris Wedgwood wrote:
    > >
    > > I'm playing with monotone right now. Superficially it looks like it
    > > has tons of gee-whiz neato stuff... however, it's *agonizingly* slow.
    > > I mean glacial. A heavily sedated sloth with no legs is probably
    > > faster.
    >
    > Yes. The silly thing is, at least in my local tests it doesn't actually
    > seem to be _doing_ anything while it's slow (there are no system calls
    > except for a few memory allocations and de-allocations). It seems to have
    > some exponential function on the number of pathnames involved etc.
    >
    > I'm hoping they can fix it, though. The basic notions do not sound wrong.

    That is indeed correct wrt pathnames. The current head of
    monotone is a lot better in this regard (the order of 2-3
    minutes for "monotone import" on a 2.6 linux untar). The
    basic problem is that in the last release (0.17), a huge
    amount of sanity checking code was added to ensure that
    inconsistent or generally bad revisions can never be
    written/received/transmitted.

    The focus is now on speeding that up - there's a _lot_ of
    low hanging fruit for us to look at.

    Matt

      Last update: 2005-04-08 10:49    [W:0.025 / U:0.812 seconds]