SubjectRe: /dev/random problem on 2.6.12-rc1
On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, Matt Mackall wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 05:36:59PM +0200, Simon Derr wrote:

> > > Because, /dev/random use user input, mouse movements and other things to
> > > generate next random number. Use /dev/urandom if you want version that
> > > will never block your machine.
> > >
> > > Read "man 4 random" for details.
> > >
> > Something changed since previous versions of the kernel, I guess.
> > Running `find /usr | wc' on a ssh session generates both network and disk
> > activity, and you should not expect any other kind of input on a networked
> > server.

Oops, the command is actually "find /usr | xargs wc", witch causes lots of
disk activity.

> FYI, network activity only generates entropy on a very small subset of
> NICs, and probably not the one you're using. This is good, as network
> activity is assumed passively observable/timable.
Offtopic, but why isn't the policy the same for all NICs ?

> > Anyway, still zero bytes coming from /dev/random, for the few minutes I
> > waited.
>
> Are you and Patrice both experiencing this on the same machine?
Both IA-64, but that's the only common point.

> What
> was the last kernel that was known to work for you? Do you see the
> contents of /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail change over time?
> Are there any other entropy consumers on your machine?
None that I am aware of.

I run:
# dd if=/dev/random bs=1 count=1 | od

Another shell:
# lsof /dev/random
COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE NODE NAME
dd 1496 root 0r CHR 1,8 99952 /dev/random

Now, find /usr | xargs wc running in background.

About /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail:
(5 second refresh interval)

0
0
0
0
[lots of 0]
0
0
0
6
0
8
2
0
0
[lots of 0]
0
0
0
3
1
0
0
[lots of 0]
0
0
0

After 10 minutes, dd is still running.

This is on Linux 2.6.12-rc1-bk1, same results for 2.6.12-rc2.

And /dev/random works fine on the same machine with Linux 2.6.11.
(i.e when running "find /usr | xargs wc", /dev/random spits out lots of
bytes)

Simon.

  Last update: 2005-04-08 09:02    [W:0.064 / U:0.028 seconds]