    SubjectRe: Kernel SCM saga..

    On 2005-04-07, at 09:44, Jan Hudec wrote:
    > I have looked at most systems currently available. I would suggest
    > following for closer look on:
    > 1) GNU Arch/Bazaar. They use the same archive format, simple, have the
    > concepts right. It may need some scripts or add ons. When Bazaar-NG
    > is ready, it will be able to read the GNU Arch/Bazaar archives so
    > switching should be easy.

    Arch isn't a sound example of software design. Quite contrary to the
    random notes posted by it's author the following issues did strike me
    the time I did evaluate it:

    The application (tla) claims to have "intuitive" command names. However
    I didn't see that as given. Most of them where difficult to remember
    and appeared to be just infantile. I stopped looking further after I

    tla my-id instead of: tla user-id or oeven tla set id ...

    tla make-archive instead of tla init

    tla my-default-archive

    No more "My Compuer" please...

    Repository addressing requires you to use informally defined
    very elaborated and typing error prone conventions:

    mkdir ~/{archives}
    tla make-archive

    You notice the requirement for two commands to accomplish a single task
    well denoted by the second command? There is more of the same at quite
    a few places
    when you try to use it. You notice the triple zero it didn't catch?

    As an added bonus it relies on the applications named by accident
    patch and diff and installed on the host in question as well as few
    other as well to

    Better don't waste your time with looking at Arch. Stick with patches
    you maintain by hand combined with some scripts containing a list of
    apply commands
    and you should be still more productive then when using Arch.

      Last update: 2005-04-09 03:09    [W:0.020 / U:19.124 seconds]