    SubjectRe: non-free firmware in kernel modules, aggregation and unclear copyright notice.
    Adrian Bunk wrote:

    >Debian doesn't seem to care much about the possible legal problems of
    >patents.

    The possible legal problem of software patents is, up to the present
    time, AFAICT, not producing effects yet in Europe, and is a non-problem
    in jurisdictions like mine (down here neither business methods nor
    software are patentable).

    >The firmware issues are an urgent real problem?

    OTOH, the firmware issues *is* a legal real problem (copyright
    infringement is even a criminal offense in a lot of juristictions --
    down here, 6 months to 2 years of soft jail + fine for non-commercial
    and 2 to 4 years of hard-jail + fine for commercial intents).

    >Debian should define how much legal risk they are willing to impose on
    >their mirrors and distributors and should act accordingly in all areas.

    You are right, but as I told you, the mirrors are really worse when
    there is a chance of copyrights infringement than of patents
    infringement -- even on those jurisdictions that *have* software
    patents, things are more difficult to prosecute in the patent field.

    >But ignoring some areas while being more religious than RMS in other
    >areas is simply silly.

    Conceded. You are right on this.

    HTH,
    Massa

      Last update: 2005-04-08 14:13    [W:0.023 / U:0.124 seconds]