    SubjectRe: non-free firmware in kernel modules, aggregation and unclear copyright notice.
    Adrian Bunk wrote:

    >Debian doesn't seem to care much about the possible legal problems of
    The possible legal problem of software patents is, up to the present
    time, AFAICT, not producing effects yet in Europe, and is a non-problem
    in jurisdictions like mine (down here neither business methods nor
    software are patentable).

    >The firmware issues are an urgent real problem?
    OTOH, the firmware issues *is* a legal real problem (copyright
    infringement is even a criminal offense in a lot of juristictions --
    down here, 6 months to 2 years of soft jail + fine for non-commercial
    and 2 to 4 years of hard-jail + fine for commercial intents).

    >Debian should define how much legal risk they are willing to impose on
    >their mirrors and distributors and should act accordingly in all areas.
    You are right, but as I told you, the mirrors are really worse when
    there is a chance of copyrights infringement than of patents
    infringement -- even on those jurisdictions that *have* software
    patents, things are more difficult to prosecute in the patent field.

    >But ignoring some areas while being more religious than RMS in other
    >areas is simply silly.
    Conceded. You are right on this.

      Last update: 2005-04-08 14:13    [W:0.019 / U:87.548 seconds]