SubjectRe: Kernel SCM saga..
On Apr 7, 2005 7:10 PM, Al Viro <viro@parcelfarce.linux.theplanet.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 08:32:04AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > Also, there's actually a second reason why I've decided that cherry-
> > picking is wrong, and it's non-technical.
> >
> > The thing is, cherry-picking very much implies that the people "up" the
> > foodchain end up editing the work of the people "below" them. The whole
> > reason you want cherry-picking is that you want to fix up somebody elses
> > mistakes, ie something you disagree with.
>
> No. There's another reason - when you are cherry-picking and reordering
> *your* *own* *patches*. That's what I had been unable to explain to
> Larry and that's what made BK unusable for me.

Yep, I missed this in BK a lot.

There is another situation in which cherry-picking is very useful:
even if you have a clean tree it still may contain bugfixes mixed with
unrelated cleanups and sometimes you want to only apply bugfixes.

Bartlomiej

  Last update: 2005-04-07 19:57    [W:0.164 / U:0.620 seconds]