SubjectRe: Mercurial 0.4b vs git patchbomb benchmark
On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 07:34:15AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, Matt Mackall wrote:
> >
> > Mercurial is even younger (Linus had a few days' head start, not to
> > mention a bunch of help), and it is already as fast as git, relatively
> > easy to use, much simpler, and much more space and bandwidth
> > efficient.
>
> You've not mentioned two out of my three design goals:
> - distribution
> - reliability/trustability
>
> ie does mercurial do distributed merges, which git was designed for, and
> does mercurial notice single-bit errors in a reasonably secure manner, or
> can people just mess with history willy-nilly?

In fact, these should be more "correct" than git as it has DAG
information at the file level in the case where there are multiple
ancestors at the changeset graph level:

M M1 M2

AB
|`-------v M2 clones M
aB AB file A is change in mainline
|`---v AB' file B is changed in M2
| aB / | M1 clones M
| ab/ | M1 changes B
| ab' | M1 merges from M2, changes to B conflict
| | A'B' M2 changes A
`---+--.|
| a'B' M2 merges from mainline, changes to A conflict
`--.|
??? depending on which ancestor we choose, we will have
to redo A hand-merge, B hand-merge, or both
but if we look at the files independently, everything
is fine

> For the latter, the cryptographic nature of sha1 is an added bonus - the
> _big_ issue is that it is a good hash, and an _exteremely_ effective CRC
> of the data. You can't mess up an archive and lie about it later. And if
> you have random memory or filesystem corruption, it's not a "shit happens"
> kind of situation - it's a "uhhoh, we can catch it (and hopefully even fix
> it, thanks to distribution)" thing.

Reliability/trustability: Mercurial is using a SHA1 hash as a checksum
as well, much like Monotone and git. A changeset contains a hash of a
manifest which contains a hash of each file in the project, so you can
do things like sign the manifest hash (though I haven't implemented it
yet. Making a backup is as simple as making a hardlink branch:

mkdir backup
cd backup
hg branch ../linux # takes about a second

> I had three design goals. "disk space" wasn't one of them, so you've
> concentrated on only one so far in your arguments.

That's because no one paid attention until I posted performance
numbers comparing it to git! Mercurial's goals are:

- to scale to the kernel development process
- to do clone/pull style development
- to be efficient in CPU, memory, bandwidth, and disk space
for all the common SCM operations
- to have strong repo integrity

It's been doing all that quite nicely since its first release.
The UI is also pretty straightforward:

Setting up a Mercurial project:

$ cd linux/
$ hg init # creates .hg
$ hg status # show changes between repo and working dir
$ hg addremove # add all unknown files and remove all missing files
$ hg commit # commit all changes, edit changelog entry

Mercurial will look for a file named .hgignore in the root of your
repository contains a set of regular expressions to ignore in file
paths.

Mercurial commands:

$ hg history # show changesets
$ hg log Makefile # show commits per file
$ hg diff # generate a unidiff
$ hg checkout # check out the tip revision
$ hg checkout <hash> # check out a specified changeset
$ hg add foo # add a new file for the next commit
$ hg remove bar # mark a file as removed

Branching and merging:

$ cd ..
$ mkdir linux-work
$ cd linux-work
$ hg branch ../linux # create a new branch
$ hg checkout # populate the working directory
$ <make changes>
$ hg commit
$ cd ../linux
$ hg merge ../linux-work # pull changesets from linux-work

Importing patches:

Fast:
$ patch < ../p/foo.patch
$ hg addremove
$ hg commit

Faster:
$ patch < ../p/foo.patch
$ hg commit `lsdiff -p1 ../p/foo.patch`

Fastest:
$ cat ../p/patchlist | xargs hg import -p1 -b ../p

Network support:

# export your .hg directory as a directory on your webserver
foo$ ln -s .hg ~/public_html/hg-linux

# merge changes from a remote machine
bar$ hg init # create an empty repo
bar$ hg merge http://foo/~user/hg-linux # populate it
bar$ <do some work>
bar$ hg merge http://foo/~user/hg-linux # resync

This is just a proof of concept of grabbing byte ranges, and is not
expected to perform well.