SubjectRe: ext3 issue..
Theodore Ts'o wrote:

>On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 09:59:39AM -0500, Davy Durham wrote:
>

>>Crazy huh? Well, I unmounted /home and did an fsck -f on the partition
>>and remounted it. Then everything looked okay.
>>

>What messages were displayed by e2fsck? What version of the kernel
>are you running?
>
>No, I haven't heard of any such problems with ext2/3 filesystems.
>This is the first time that someone was reported a specific problem
>with the # of blocks used accounting. There is the standard "file
>held open so the number of blocks used is greater than blocks reported
>by du", but that won't cause df to display negative numbers.
>
> - Ted
>-

Well, I don't have the output of the fsck when I did the machine I did
it on. And I can't do it on the production machine right now. Perhaps I
can tommorrow if I can talk to the guys about cleaning it off. I'm a
bit afraid to do it, reason being that if it's off on this accounting
information, what files/data might I lose if I did an fsck on it
(remember, the one I already did it on was empty).

Also, I did an "e2fsck /home" on the running machine just expecting to
get the "warning, don't do this on a mounted file system" prompt, but
instead I got:

# e2fsck /home
e2fsck 1.34 (25-Jul-2003)
e2fsck: Is a directory while trying to open /home

filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

Perhaps it's because it is mounted? (and -b 8193 didn't change
anything). Do I need to do it on the device after unmounting instead?
(Probably so)

I do get the expected warning with fsck itself. Which should I be
using? e2fsck or fsck?

This is kernel-2.6.3-15mdk BTW (mdk 10.0official)

I'll try to report back tomorrow if I'm able to do anything..

Thanks,
Davy

  Last update: 2005-04-29 04:41    [W:0.086 / U:0.456 seconds]