SubjectRe: Multiple functionality breakages in 2.6.12rc3 IDE layer
On Gwe, 2005-04-29 at 00:00, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> > why. You've disabled open() of a device with no bound driver.
>
> Guess what open() for ide-default was doing in 2.6?
>
> return -ENXIO;
>
> and no it wasn't my change - it was the effect of fixing
> locking of the higher layers.

Yes so it needed fixing and without all the kref, kmalloc, unique object
structure per ide driver code spew too.

> > The fact that the IDE layer appears to be getting worse not better,
> > which given the starting point is a remarkable achievement.
>
> Personal insults are easy, get technical facts.

I consider that a technical fact. The last IDE code I maintained fully
in 2.4 had mostly working locking, drive hotplug, open for unbound
drivers, didnt oops on spurious irqs and wasn't losing all sorts of
useful boot options. I had hoped that I wouldnt have to totally fork the
2.6 IDE code in order to get back to where 2.4-ac was and get the
locking working so you can't oops it via /proc

Alan

  Last update: 2005-04-29 01:48    [W:0.040 / U:0.304 seconds]