SubjectRe: rootdelay
Daniel Drake <dsd@gentoo.org> writes:

[ Please CC replies to me - thanks! ]

> Hi David,

> David N. Welton wrote:

> > [ Please CC replies to me, thanks! ]

> > Hi, I was looking at your patch:

> > http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/1/21/132 Very small, which is nice. I

> > was wondering if there were any interest in my own efforts in that
> > direction:

> > http://dedasys.com/freesoftware/patches/blkdev_wakeup.patch which

> > is far more intrusive, and perhaps isn't good kernel programming
> > style, but, on the other hand, is the optimal solution in terms of
> > boot time because it wakes up the boot process right when the
> > device comes on line. Since I saw your patch included, it looks
> > like there is interest in this, and I'd toot my own horn once more
> > before just leaving my patch to the bit rot of the ages...
> > Thanks!

> As simple as it may be, it's a bit of a shame that we actually need
> rootdelay as its something that the kernel should do
> automatically. At the time when we last discussed it, we didn't come
> up with a better (and safe) way to handle it, but I don't think we
> considered anything like your implementation.

> I've CC'd a few people who were involved the last time around to see
> if they have any input for you.

Thanks! I don't wish to be a pest, but not having heard a "no", I'll
send another ping out. Perhaps a simple description is better than
the patch for busy people:

In init/do_mounts.c, mount_root does an interruptible_sleep_on a
wait queue, and goes on about its business after register_blkdev
in drivers/block/genhd.c does a wake_up_interruptible on it, so
that mounting the root device happens exactly when it needs to, no
sooner, no later, and doesn't depend on any fiddly timing issues.

Thankyou,
--
David N. Welton
- http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/