SubjectRe: ide-cd? Can burn DVDs, just not read them...
Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> Have you checked that the drive is running the latest firmware release
> for it? Bad firmware causes all sorts of problems.

Don't have an easy way to test that; I'd have to take it back to the
person with a dual-boot box, as I'm pretty sure their update utility is
a windoze bianry...

But, since problems are also happening with my cd-rw drive (even with
the dvd-rw out of the system), which I know worked before, I don't think
it's a drive problem.

> What other device is it sharing the cable with? Which is master and
> which is slave?

Originally it shared a cable with my cd-rw drive, but I've tried it both
on its own cable and sharing with one of my hard drives, on both the
ata/66 controller and the ata/100 raid controller, with no changes at all.

> Is it a 40 or 80 conductor ide cable? Most 8x+ DVD writers want an 80
> conductor as far as I know (at least to operate at full speed).

80 conductor cables for all tests. I might be able to dig up a 40
conductor one for testing, but I don't think that'll help...

> Len Sorensen

Someone suggested I try a binary search of kernel versions to figure out
exactly when the cd-rw drive was broken (which worked before, unlike the
dvd, which I have no idea if it ever worked), in an effort to figure out
what caused it to break... going to try this, but haven't had the
time... a long project. :)

Thanks again,
--Randy

  Last update: 2005-04-25 19:59    [W:0.131 / U:0.216 seconds]