    SubjectRe: Git-commits mailing list feed.

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005, Junio C Hamano wrote:
    > If that is the case, can't you do it without introducing this
    > new tag object, like this?

    No, because I also want to sign the _name_ I gave it.

    Otherwise somebody can take my "signed commit", and claim that I called it
    something else.

    Just signing the commit is indeed sufficient to just say "I trust this
    commit". But I essentially what to also say what I trust it _for_ as well.

    And sure, I could make a totally bogus "commit" object that just points to
    the original commit, uses the same "tree" from that original commit, and
    write what I want to trust into that commit. I then sign that, and create
    yet _another_ commit that has the signature (and the pointer to the just
    signed commit) in its commit message, and then I point to _that_ commit.

    So yes, we can certainly do this with playing games with commits. That
    sounds singularly ugly, though, since just doing a "tag" object is a lot
    more straightforward, and really tells the world what's going on (and
    makes it easy for automated tools to just browse the object database and
    see "that's a tag").

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.034 / U:14.844 seconds]