    SubjectRe: Git-commits mailing list feed.

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005, Sean wrote:

    > A script that knows how to validate signed tags, can easly strip off all
    > the signing overhead for display. Users of scripts that don't understand
    > will see the cruft, but at least it will still be usable.

    NO.

    Guys, I will say this once more: git will not look at the signature.

    That means that we don't "strip them off", because dammit, they DO NOT
    EXIST as far as git is concerned. This is why a tag-file will _always_
    start with

    commit <commit-sha1>
    tag <tag-name>

    because that way we can use fsck and validate reachability and have things
    that want trees (or commits) take tag-files instead, and git will
    automatically look up the associated tree/commit. And it will do so
    _without_ having to understand about signing, since signing is for trust
    between _people_ not for git.

    And that is why I from the very beginning tried to make ti very clear that
    the signature goes at the end. Not at the beginning, not in the middle,
    and not in a different file. IT GOES AT THE END.

    Linus

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.022 / U:60.648 seconds]