SubjectRe: Continuing woes - Yenta PCMCIA and USB 2.0 Cardbus Card
Ron Gage wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> I am trying to get a generic cardbus based USB 2.0 card working with an
> external USB hard drive. Even though I have received some good help to date,
> things are still not going well.
>
> The original problem was that inserting the cardbus card into my laptop would
> cause the entire PCMCIA system to die instantly. This problem is fixed -
> inserting the card no longer kills the PCMCIA system.
>
> What appears to be happening now is that there are codepath problems in the
> EHCI/UHCI/OHCI code as they relate to the SCSI Disk driver. All this is
> tested against 2.6.11.6 on a Slackware 9.1 based laptop.
>
> The USB drive works perfectly (albiet very slowly) when plugged directly into
> the laptop's USB 1.1 port.
>
> When the USB drive is plugged into the USB 2.0 cardbus card, the drive is ID'd
> correctly (make/model), but the driver can not read the partition table.
> Attempting to mount the drive doesn't work. Unplugging the USB drive causes
> the lockup to unlock.
>
> Plugging a USB keydrive into the USB 2.0 card causes no problems. Drive is
> ID'd, make/model read, partition table read, can read/write/mount the key
> drive without issue. Same when plugging the keydrive into the laptop's
> USB1.1 port.
>
> Laptop is an HP Pavilion N5150, Intel USB chipset (UHCI). Cardbus card is
> generic ALI based USB chipset (EHCI/OHCI). USB drive is a Sony VAIO external
> case for a 2.5" drive. The chip in the usb drive has no manufacturer
> markings on it, just the following character sequences: CS881BAG, 0451B0C104,
> 107
>
> HELP!!!!

I have a similar problem.
I have a HP NC6000. It uses the Yenta PCMCIA kernel driver.
If I insert a PCMCIA card that uses cardmgr, it all works fine.
If I insert a Cardbus PCMCIA card it instead shows up as a PCI card, and
cardmgr does not even see it.
Now, here is the real problem. I can activate the card, and read PCI
information from it, but as soon as I do something like this:
value = inb(port);

I.e. The first inb/inw/inl command that the driver tries to do, locks up
the PC.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

James

  Last update: 2005-04-23 15:39    [W:0.442 / U:0.380 seconds]