SubjectRe: [patch] properly stop devices before poweroff
On 21/04/2005 12:38:29 linux-kernel-owner wrote:

>> >Without this patch, Linux provokes emergency disk shutdowns and
>> >similar nastiness. It was in SuSE kernels for some time, IIRC.
>> OMG! And I did try to raise that issue 10 months ago, see below:
>Heh, verify that this patch works for you and it might finally get

I can't "hear" the difference between normal and emergency shutdown, and
information I found does not suggest they are recorded amongst s.m.a.r.t
attributes. Power_Cycle_Count, Load_Cycle_Count and
Power-Off_Retract_Count seem to be in sync, although common sense would
suggests that the last one should possibly not increment on a clean
shutdown. I will experiment a bit when I find some spare time.