    SubjectRe: FUSYN and RT
    On Fri, 2005-04-15 at 18:20 -0700, Inaky Perez-Gonzalez wrote:
    > >> On Fri, 2005-04-15 at 16:37 -0700, Inaky Perez-Gonzalez wrote:
    >
    > > I have to agree with Inaky too. Fundamentally, PI is the same for
    > > the system regardless of if the locks are user or kernel. I still
    > > don't see the difference here. But for other reasons, I feel that
    > > the user lock should be a different structure from the kernel
    > > lock. That's why I mentioned that it would be a good idea if Ingo
    > > modulized the PI portion. So that part would be the same for
    > > both. If he doesn't have the time to do it, I'll do it :-) (Ingo,
    > > all you need to do is ask.)
    >
    > Can you qualify "different" here? I don't mean that they need to be
    > interchangeable, but that they are esentially the same. Obviously the
    > user cannot acces the kernel locks, but kernel locks are *used* to
    > implement user space locks.
    >
    > Back to my example before: in fusyn, a user space lock is a kernel
    > space lock with a wrapper, that provides all that is necessary for
    > doing the fast path and handling user-space specific issues.

    I was actually thinking of just giving more flexibility to the user
    locks, in case the application using them needed more information, for
    debugging or whatever. Honestly, I haven't looked at the fusyn code
    yet, so I don't really know if there is a difference. As I said, I
    "feel" the user lock should be different. I really don't know if they
    should.

    So, to answer your question. Looking forward, I kind of see two
    different structures for locking. The rt_mutex and something that is
    used by fusyn, then there being some common structure (or ops) that they
    both use to implement the PI. But the implementation of how the locks
    work may as well be different. But this may not be the case, and there
    still be two structures but the fusyn just contain a rt_mutex lock to do
    the actual locking and the rest of the structure be used for showing
    information or what not back up to user space. This stuff wouldn't be
    necessary for the rt_mutex. We need to keep rt_mutex small since it is
    used all over the place.

    That's all I meant.

    -- Steve

      Last update: 2005-04-16 03:43    [W:3.628 / U:0.000 seconds]