    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] git-pasky-0.3
    Petr Baudis wrote:
    > Dear diary, on Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 10:47:05AM CEST, I got a letter
    > where Russell King <> told me that...
    >>On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 02:07:36PM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
    >>>I'd suggest making it [index] big-endian to make sure the LE weenies don't
    >>>forget to byteswap properly.
    >>That's not a bad argument actually - especially as networking uses BE.
    >>(and git is about networking, right?) 8)
    > Theoretically, you are never supposed to share your index if you work in
    > fully git environment. However, I offer some "base tarballs" which have
    > the unpacked source as well as the .git directory, and I think you want
    > the index there. Of course you can always regenerate it by
    > read-tree $(tree-id)
    > but I really don't want to (hey, dwmw got away with that too! ;-). It
    > forces an additional out-of-order step you need to do before making use
    > of your git for the first time.
    > The NFS argument obviously seems perfectly valid to me too. So, FWIW,
    > I'm personally all for it, if someone gives me a patch.

    In userspace, it's definitely easier to stick with BE for a standard
    byte order, simply because it's the one byteorder one can rely on there
    being macros available to deal with on all platforms.

    However, then I would also like to suggest replacing "unsigned int" and
    "unsigned short" with uint32_t and uint16_t, even though they're
    consistent on all *current* Linux platforms.

      Last update: 2005-04-13 11:10    [W:0.021 / U:4.000 seconds]