SubjectRe: Re: Re: Re: [ANNOUNCE] git-pasky-0.3
Dear diary, on Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 07:01:34PM CEST, I got a letter
where Daniel Barkalow <> told me that...
> For future reference, git is unhappy if you actually do this, because your
> HEAD won't match the (empty) contents of the new directory. The easiest
> thing is to cp -r your original, replace the shared stuff with links, and
> go from there.

How is it unhappy? That would likely be a bug, unless you do something
which really *needs* the tree populated and doesn't make sense otherwise
(show-diff aka git diff w/o arguments, for example).

Given that what would you copy with cp -r and wipe shortly after
(objects db) is likely to be significantly larger than the working tree
itself, checkout-cache would be wiser anyway.

Petr "Pasky" Baudis
98% of the time I am right. Why worry about the other 3%.