    SubjectRe: Processes stuck on D state on Dual Opteron
    Claudio Martins wrote:
    > On Sunday 10 April 2005 03:47, Andrew Morton wrote:
    >>Suggest you boot with `nmi_watchdog=0' to prevent the nmi watchdog from
    >>cutting in during long sysrq traces.
    >>Also, capture the `sysrq-m' output so we can see if the thing is out of
    > Hi Andrew,
    > Thanks for the tip. I booted with nmi_watchdog=0 and was able to get a full
    > sysrq-t as well as a sysrq-m. Since it might be a little too big for the
    > list, I've put it on a text file at:

    OK, you _may_ be out of memory here (depending on what the lower zone
    protection for DMA ends up as), however you are well above all the
    "emergency watermarks" in ZONE_NORMAL. Also:

    > I also made a run with the mempool-can-fail patch from Nick Piggin. With this
    > I got some nice memory allocation errors from the md threads when the trouble
    > started. The dump (with sysrq-t and sysrq-m included) is at:

    This one shows plenty of memory. The allocation failure messages are
    actually a good thing, and show that my patch is sort of working. I
    have reworked it a bit so they won't show up though.

    So probably not your common or garden memory deadlock.

    The common theme seems to be: try_to_free_pages, swap_writepage,
    mempool_alloc, down/down_failed in Next I would suspect
    md/raid1 - maybe some deadlock in an uncommon memory allocation
    failure path?

    I'll see if I can reproduce it here.

    SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.

      Last update: 2005-04-11 11:59    [W:0.052 / U:3.064 seconds]