SubjectRe: [patch] sched: unlocked context-switches

Ingo> * David S. Miller <davem@davemloft.net> wrote:

>> > Yes, of course. The deadlock was due to context-switching, not
>> > switch_mm() per se. Hopefully someone else beats me to
>> remembering > the details before Monday.

>> Sparc64 has a deadlock because we hold mm->page_table_lock during
>> switch_mm(). I bet IA64 did something similar, as I remember it
>> had a very similar locking issue in this area.

>> So the deadlock was, we held the runqueue locks over switch_mm(),
>> switch_mm() spins on mm->page_table_lock, the cpu which does have
>> mm-> page_table_lock tries to do a wakeup on the first cpu's
>> mm-> runqueue.
>> Classic AB-BA deadlock.

Ingo> yeah, i can see that happening - holding the runqueue lock and
Ingo> enabling interrupts. (it's basically never safe to enable irqs
Ingo> with the runqueue lock held.)

Ingo> the patch drops both the runqueue lock and enables interrupts,
Ingo> so this particular issue should not trigger.

I had to refresh my memory with a quick Google search that netted [1]
(look for "Disable interrupts during context switch"). Actually, it
wasn't really a deadlock, but rather a livelock, since a CPU got stuck
on an infinite page-not-present loop.

Fundamentally, the issue was that doing the switch_mm() and
switch_to() with interrupts enabled opened a window during which you
could get a call to flush_tlb_mm() (as a result of an IPI). This, in
turn, could end up activating the wrong MMU-context, since the action
of flush_tlb_mm() depends on the value of current->active_mm. The
problematic sequence was:

1) schedule() calls switch_mm() which calls activate_context() to
switch to the new address-space
2) IPI comes in and flush_tlb_mm(mm) gets called
3) "current" still points to old task and if "current->active_mm == mm",
activate_mm() is called for the old address-space, resetting the
address-space back to that of the old task

Now, Ingo says that the order is reversed with his patch, i.e.,
switch_mm() happens after switch_to(). That means flush_tlb_mm() may
now see a current->active_mm which hasn't really been activated yet.
That should be OK since it would just mean that we'd do an early (and
duplicate) activate_context(). While it does not give me a warm and
fuzzy feeling to have this inconsistent state be observable by
interrupt-handlers (and, in particular, IPI-handlers), I don't see any
problem with it off hand.

--david

[1] http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/linux-ia64/0307/6109.html

  Last update: 2005-04-12 03:12    [W:0.303 / U:0.080 seconds]