SubjectRe: [ACPI] [2.6.12-rc2][suspend] Suspending Thinkpad: drive bay light in S3 mode stays on
On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 16:17 -0400, Shawn Starr wrote:
> Sure, I suppose you can, but most suspend tools just
> echo stuff to /sys (or still /proc/acpi/sleep) which
> makes it harder to script it. Besides, when a laptop
> goes into suspend to RAM there should be no extra
> power on except a Moon or some other icon.

Most suspend tools are depressingly stupid. That's not a good reason to
push functionality into the kernel. The vast majority of hardware won't
work with that approach at the moment.

> That said, the ACPI thinkpad extras was designed to do
> all of this so why shouldn't the driver do S3 suspend
> if it hooks into it already?

Because, well, strictly it wasn't. The LED control functionality in the
IBM-acpi code exists because it exposes methods that are used by the
BIOS in normal usage. It gives some degree of extra flexibility -
there's no point in removing that for the sake of having one fewer line
of shell in a suspend script. I might want the LEDs to be in different
states depending on what triggered the suspend.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org