SubjectRe: [RFC] FUSE permission modell (Was: fuse review bits)
> >   3) No other user should have access to files under the mount, not
> > even root[5]
>
> > [5] Obviously root cannot be restricted, but accidental access to
> > private data is still a good idea. E.g. root squashing by NFS servers
> > has a similar affect.
>
> Could you explain a little more? I don't see the point in denying
> access to root, but I also can't tell from your explanation whether you
> do or not.

Fuse by default does. This can be disabled by one of two mount
later. These mount options are only allowed for mounting by root, but
this can be relaxed with a configuration option.

> If I mount a filesystem using ssh, I want to be able to "sudo cp
> foo.txt /etc" and not get an inexplicable permissions error.

If you can do that sudo, you can also modify the configuration and use
one of the mount options.

> I don't really see the point of this restriction, anyway. Could you
> explain why this shouldn't be a matter of policy, and kept out of the
> kernel? Have the userspace file servers default to putting restrictive
> permissions on mounts unless requested otherwise.

That's an option. However you can't restrict root that way, and you
need an extra directory, since permissions on the mountpoint are
ignored after the mount.

Restricting root is needed, so that a sysadmin won't accidently go
into a user's private mount (e.g. sshfs to some machine to which the
sysadmin otherwise has no access). Root can still gain access by
doing 'su me', but at least he will have a bad conscience. This is
not such a stupid idea as it first sounds IMO, and by default all NFS
servers exhibit a similar behavior (root squashing).

> > 4) Access should not be further restricted for the owner of the
> > mount, even if permission bits, uid or gid would suggest
> > otherwise
>
> Similar questions.

This behavior can be disabled by the "default_permissions" mount
option (wich is not privileged, since it adds restrictions). A FUSE
filesystem mounted by root (and not for private purposes) would
normally be done with "allow_other,default_permissions".

Does this answer your questions?

Thanks,
Miklos

  Last update: 2005-04-11 18:00    [W:0.194 / U:0.180 seconds]